- Moses Waddel's Academy in Abbeville, SC
Died: December 22, 1846 in Mexico
- Captain, United States Army
- Lieutenant Colonel, South Carolina Militia
Buried: Edgefield, SC
Major Events and Accomplishments - 1836-1838
Other Government Positions:
- Governor Butler appointed a commission to survey South Carolina's public schools in an effort to find areas of possible improvement
- The Panic of 1837 damaged South Carolina banks, causing periodic suspensions of specie payment over the next few years - 1837
Other Accomplishments, Honors, Distinctions, etc.
- US Agent to the Cherokee and Comanche Indians
- Butler died in the Mexican War at the Battle of Churubusco - 1846
Election - December 10, 1836
Butler was elected by the South Carolina General Assembly by secret ballot.
Collected from Sciway.net
© Ritz Publications 2003-2006